- PRACTICE AREAS
- Corporate Governance
- Intellectual Property
- Commercial Agreements
- International Transactions
- Bankruptcy Law
“By being involved in the decision-making process sooner rather than later, I am able to help my clients get a better result, and allay the stress and uncertainty that comes with last- minute planning. I have done some of my best work in a deadline-oriented situation– completing 90 days of work in 30. Clients always appreciate efficiency.”
Russ represents businesses and individuals in commercial transactions and corporate planning. For more than twenty years he has been in private practice and served as inside counsel to a prominent multinational corporation, representing it throughout a Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization process.
From a family legacy of lawyers – father, grandfather, and great-uncles, all practicing in North Carolina, Russ started his career in the area of SEC compliance work for publicly traded companies. This intricate and highly detailed discipline prepared him for thoughtful and effective counseling for owners of businesses of all sizes and industries.
Both his leadership in the aforementioned two-year bankruptcy proceedings, and another case– a project finance transaction for a natural gas pipeline – are distinct examples of Russ’ exceptional ability to offer a timely response to complex financing arrangements and handle high visibility crisis management situations with very successful results.
Russ and his wife Ann have two adult children. Will is following his father’s career path at Duke University School of Law, and Patrick works in the theatre in New York. When he isn’t working Russ can be found backpacking and exploring various sections of the Appalachian Trail.
- Wake Forest University, J.D., 1991
- Duke University, B.A., 1981
- BAR ADMISSIONS
- North Carolina
- ACTIVITIES AND RECOGNITIONS
- Member of Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals
- Former General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, Burlington Industries
- Past Secretary and Newsletter Editor of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Business Law Section
- Former Trustee, North Carolina Parks and Recreation Trust Fund
- Former Chairman, Greensboro Public Library Board of Trustees
- Board Member, Nature Conservancy of North Carolina
- Board Member, Greensboro Day School