“I believe that an attorney should be the client’s confidant, their advisor, advocate, and friend. It’s a relationship built on trust, loyalty, and integrity.”
Tom became an attorney on the advice of his father, a successful businessman in Smithfield, NC, who considered the law to be an honorable profession based upon his experiences with the lawyers in his home town. Throughout his career, he has enjoyed being a problem solver for clients who have humbled him with their trust and confidence.
Tom started his legal career in general practice to gain a wide scope of experience and meet a range of new clients. He practiced criminal law for ten years, along with real estate closings and litigation, personal injury lawsuits, bankruptcies, collections, and family law litigation. During his second decade as an attorney, he stopped handling criminal trials and reduced the number of domestic cases, focusing on civil litigation matters, estate and trust planning matters, real estate closings and development. From 2001 to 2008 he served as city attorney for the City of Eden. In his practice at Sparrow Dennis & Medlin PA, he became more involved in estate matters (particularly the Medicaid planning cases and trust administration cases) and commercial real estate transactions.
A skilled litigator, Tom seeks resolution to his cases that benefit all parties, applying the Rotary 4 Way Test to his practice:
> Is it the TRUTH?
> Is it FAIR to all concerned?
> Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
> Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
Tom enjoys golf, hunting, and tennis and is an avid sports fan. He and his wife, Donna Bell Medlin, have eight children, ranging in age from 35 to 17 years old. His mother, Lu Long Ogburn Medlin, also from Smithfield, was Miss North Carolina in 1951 and was first runner-up to Miss America in 1952.
- J.D., Wake Forest University, 1984
- B.S., business administration, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- BAR ADMISSIONS
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina
- PUBLIC OFFICE
- Stokesdale Town Attorney, 2019
- Eden City Attorney, 2001 to 2008
- Public Guardian for 17A Judicial District, 2000 to 2008
- HONORS AND AWARDS
- AV ® PreeminentTM Peer Review RatedSM attorney by Martindale-Hubbell ®
- REPORTED CASES
- Fix v. City of Eden, 175 N.C. App. 1, 622 S.E.2d 647 (N.C. Ct. App. 2005)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Rockingham County Bar Association, President, 1992
- Greensboro Bar Association
- Real Estate Lawyers Association of North Carolina
- COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- American Red Cross, Member, State Service Council, 1994 to 1997
- Chairman, Rockingham County Chapter Board, 1989 to 1990 and 1992 to 1994
- Leaksville United Methodist Church
- Eden Rotary Club